The first Higher Grade school was opened in 1909 with the title of Inverurie Academy. At that time the school existed as 2 separate buildings; one a primary school which took pupils up to the then statutory leaving age of 14 and the other a secondary school which took those pupils who had passed their ‘qualifying’ exam up to the age of going to go to further education. The secondary school Assembly Hall can still be identified in the current Science corridor. The remaining vaulted roof of the primary Assembly Hall can be seen outside the current senior common room. They remained that way until they were joined in the 1950s and finally amalgamated in the 1960s by the building of the current Assembly Hall. The two buildings can still clearly be seen in the present facia of the building. At this time the large extension which now houses Modern Languages, Social Subjects and English were also completed. The final phase of building at the Academy was completed in the 1980s when the extension which now houses IT, Home Economics and the Library was added.
Inverurie Academy is rare in the length of service of its Rectors, the present Rector Ms Linda Evans being only the sixth person to hold the post.
The Academy has always been a comprehensive school serving all the youngsters of the community. At one stage the Academy also incorporated the senior primary classes for the town, primary 5, 6 and 7 variously occupying the old soup kitchen, the scout hut, and the old hospital building. As the only senior secondary in the area its catchment zone extended from Donside to the boundaries of Aberdeen. With reorganisation in the 1980′s Alford became a 6th year secondary and the junior secondary schools at Insch and Kintore closed. Kemnay Academy opened in 1980 and pupils from Kintore and Kemnay left Inverurie Academy to attend the new Academy. In 2002 another new academy was built at Oldmeldrum and again pupils from that area left Inverurie Academy. Because of these various building programmes, the roll of the school has fluctuated from approximately 1500 pupils to about 900.
Former pupils of the Academy can be found all over the world in positions ranging from professors to newspaper editors to world sport champions.